Tuesday, December 17, 2013

How Old People Think

I have to impress this kid.
Have you seen the TV ad where the kindly, professorial looking guy tells you how they asked people to put a sticker on a wall representing the age of the oldest person they know?  I've seen that ad over and over again and still I can't remember what they're advertising.  That either says something about the effectiveness of the ad or about my cognitive degeneration.

Anyway, every time I see that commercial the thought pops into my head that they have it backward.  What you really want is to think about the youngest person you know, or more importantly, who knows you.  You see, when you die your memory is only going to live as long as the youngest person who remembers you. 

I've given this a lot of thought and the youngest person right now who will remember me is my 9 yr. old first cousin twice removed.  I've racked my brain to find someone younger, but I can't think of anyone.  There are still people in my family who may yet have children and I have friends young enough to have kids, but there's no certainty I will last long enough for those kids to reach an age where they will remember me.

Is there a moral to this story?  I guess I sort of feel that as long as somebody who remembers me is alive then I continue to live on, if only in someone's memory.  Eventually they will die and I will be forgotten forever.  For most of you the same fate awaits.

9 comments:

kden said...

You sure do a lot of thinking. But you have a point. The youngest people I know are my Grandkids, but if they're too young they will only have memories of retold stories by others, not true memories. I hope we have some time.

Grumpy's cousin said...

I hope you're not including me in your list of family members who may yet have children.

Mr. Ace said...

All sunshine and lollipops today, aren't we?

This blog will live on forever. You should pass it on to somebody in your will. Really make their day.

bill said...

I've touched on that sort of thinking also, maybe not to the extent you have, because you are a deep thinker, while I am more shallow. But the truth is , and it may be my own truth, unless you take into consideration what the youngest person you know actually thinks about you, and you may never know, but should that young person think good thoughts about you, you get some sort of after-life points and if he or she thinks bad thoughts of you, you get some kind of demerit, and after a certain point, say when the youngest person you know passes on, the good points and the bad are compared. Get enough good and you get re-incarnation, live again, in some life form. If the bad points outnumber the good, then you'll roam around heaven all day cleaning out the heavenly shit stalls. I don't know, maybe this, maybe the young person remembers thing should be thought on some more. On the other hand it does have merit.

GMoney said...

He should pass it on to that anonymous right winger who calls everyone a racist. That guy is the best.

Grumpy said...

I think Mr. Ace should take over. Start posting vegan recipes.

Bill, I'm going to have to think about that; it's a lot to digest.

bill said...

Apologies. Sometime I get windy and don't know when to quit. I'll work on that.

Grumpy said...

No need to apologize. You weren't long winded; it's just a difficult concept to wrap my head around.

Sherry said...

They need to up your meds.